Saturday, October 2, 2010

Let the Battle Begin!

So, yesterday, SM City San Pablo opened its doors to eager, enthusiastic, rabid (?) fans of the franchise. Traffic was horrendous! It took me five long hours to reach my destination, five precious hours which could have been spent doing more productive things than cursing the stupid traffic alternating with the confusion of ideas whether to walk back to my shop.


The same fanfare and traffic I experienced when Puregold opened its doors two years ago.


Now the battle has began between two retail giants. The question in my mind is: who will eventually come out a victor. Only time can tell.


But like all other battles, there will be victors and collateral damages involved. The victors from this battle is the consumers who now have a choice. Specially when Christmas season comes.


I am more worried about the collateral damage this battle will produce. Personally I don't go to big supermarkets like SM, RObinsons and Puregold. I don't feel like giving my money to someone who is so rich they can probably buy my soul along with my future descendants without suffering a dent in their cashflow.


I usually go to my neighborhood grocery store, where I feel more at home, where service is more personalized and we are acquainted on a first name basis. I only go to these big malls when the product I am seeking is not available in my favorite grocery store.


For me, these are the collateral damages. Small businessmen who barely earn from their business what with small margin as markup. They will suffer the consequence.
Many will fold up eventually, eaten alive by the giants without having any means to
protect their turf, defending their business to its last breath.


Large supermarket chains are nothing but bullies. Encroaching the market share and forcing small players to fold up.


That's the sad truth about consumerism.

No comments:

Post a Comment