Tuesday, November 15, 2011

THAT DAY


At around 12 midnight tonight will mark the time when a major life-changing event completely altered my life. It was at that time when the dreaded accident happened. What was supposed to be a quick trip to a nearby store became a nightmare that tested my strength and faith in God, assured me that I have a family who will stand by me no matter what, and friends who supported me all throughout.

From the initial shock of the accident, the help of San Pablo’s finest who let me use their mobile car to accompany me to the emergency room, to the mayhem at the ER, me demanding attention, me shaking all over because of the unbearable pain, me begging for a pain reliever to ease the pain, the travel to the x-ray room in the middle of the rain and occasional bumps that sent stabbing pain, the doctor giving more attention to her facebook, she reading the x-ray and telling me that there is no fracture and releasing me, me struggling to ride a tricycle back to my place, me being carried into my home and my bed. That night will be considered my longest night of indescribable pain.

The next two months passed by with only one thing on my mind, to get back on my feet as soon as possible. I spent my 44th birthday alone, in bed. Some friends visited me and brought some food.  My only solace then was my phone and facebook. I was alone from morning till night without anyone to talk to and answer to all my needs. And facebook kept me company. Two months in bed, with the scheduled therapy every other day, passed by so quickly.  Christmas came and went, it was the first time I spent Christmas alone.

The news that made my entire world come crumbling down was when I heard another doctor’s diagnosis, I have a broken femur. The news came before New Year’s eve, and I spent all day and night crying. I asked God for help, I don’t know who to ask for help, my coffer is drained, and I need an operation.

Then the miracles happened.

Help from my family came pouring in. I went to Lucena for further test. It was suggested that I be admitted at the Philippine Orthopedic Center, where I stayed for fifteen days. The first night was hard. It was my first time in a hospital.  With no available room, I was confined in a ward. At night, I got awakened by other patient’s cries of pain. Patients who can’t afford to buy medicines for their pain. There I experienced how it feels to be like in a zoo, with streams of nursing students coming and going gawking at you like you are some kind of animal. There I experienced scheduled bathroom privilege, being awakened at 5 in the morning by the head nurse, the heat, the scent and sight of rotting flesh as it is being cleansed, and guards who make you feel like a prisoner. But I was not complaining. It was an experience worth cherishing and my hope was high as I was waiting for my date with the knife.

Unexpected turn of events made me aware that this is one episode in my life I can call a miracle. The surgery was cancelled, a few minutes after I called the supplier of the hip screw, a day later I was released.

The remaining months ensued with frequent trips to the therapist and monthly checkup as I slowly gained my mobility. From wheel chair to two crutches, to one crutch, to walking stick, I slowly saw the progression.

Today, as I look back at that night, I can proudly say, that I won that battle.  I understood what the Lord God wants me to learn. I am no Job, I am not there yet.  But I know in my heart that God loves me, that He only wanted the best for me. That all those delays, misdiagnosis, and cancelled surgery has a reason.

The journey continues. I know I can get there someday, I am not in a hurry. But the fact that I can get there walking, unscarred by surgery, and with stronger faith in Him and love and support of my family and friends.

That night, may have scarred me physically, with walking stick all my life to boot. But it also made me stronger. He made me stronger.

Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. - Jeremiah 17:14



2 comments:

  1. What an experience! But I am glad you overcame it and I know you experienced the goodness of God. Praise be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was only able to imagine what you when thru then. but now, i can almost see, feel, hear what was going on around and inside you at the time. your strength is an inspiration.

    so this is what our patients feel and think. and yet we complain how difficult our work is.

    thanks, jun.

    ReplyDelete